SPEARMINT (Mentha spicata) – loose leaf herb
T ‘n’ T Teas is a company run by qualified herbalists and natural therapists (and author of a forthcoming book on the subject of therapeutic herbs), using traditional remedies that have been handed down through the generations.
This offer is for a single herb ingredient, but contact us for a personalised consultation for herbal ingredient mixes that are tailored to your requirements. Contact us on our website, or through the eBay/Amazon messages.
Traditional therapeutic use
A native of the mint family, with a fresh taste common in many foods.
- Laxative properties.
- Antispasmodic effects.
- Reduces female testosterone (beneficial to reduce facial hair).
- High in antioxidants.
- Beneficial plant compounds that may help balance hormones.
- Lowers blood sugar.
- Improves digestion.
- Reduce stress.
- Improves memory.
- Fights bacterial infection (this is why it is often used in chewing gum).
- Enhances bile production (sounds bad, but it is vital).
- Reduces arthritis pain.
- Lowers blood pressure
- Good stomach enhancer.
- Antitussive effects, but can also be used for inhalation in case of a cold.
Possible side effects & interactions
Generally safe, but some people react to members of the mint family:
- Allergic reactions against mint
- Sedative properties may react with other drugs
- possibly unsafe during pregnancy and breastfeeding when taken in large amounts.
- Spearmint extract may also cause kidney and liver damage in larger quantities.