ST JOHNS WORT (Hypericum perforatum) – loose herb, herbal tea
T ‘n’ T Teas is a company run by qualified herbalists and natural therapists (and author of a forthcoming book on the subject of therapeutic herbs), using traditional remedies that have been handed down through the generations.
This offer is for a single herb ingredient, but contact us for a personalised consultation for herbal ingredient mixes that are tailored to your requirements. Contact us on our website, or through the eBay/Amazon messages.
Traditional therapeutic uses
- Antidepressant – St John’s Wort is an ingredient of a treatment herbal tea mix for this condition – contact us for a personalised consultation.
- Appetite enhancer.Diuretic.
- Bile stimulant.
- Wound healing agent.
- Nighttime urine problems (nocturia).
- Gastric ulcer remedy – St John’s Wort is an ingredient of a treatment herbal tea mix for this condition – contact us for a personalised consultation.
- Improves circulation in the capillaries (helps with angina pectoris) – St John’s Wort is an ingredient of a treatment herbal tea mix for this condition – contact us for a personalised consultation.
- Helps with bacterial infections of the colon.
- Diarrhoea treatment.
- Excellent gargling because it is an anti-inflammatory.
- Dermatological agent.
- Soothes burns.
- Excellent wound healer, reduces hemorrhagic ailments.
- Reduces restlessness, mood swings and helps initiate sleep.
- Cures acne.
Possible side effects & interactions
You should not sunbathe after St. John’s Wort because you may get a rash.
It should not be combined with amphetamines, narcotics, diet pills and anti-hay fever (antihistamine) tablets, as well as asthma diffusers.
Do not combine with beer, coffee, yoghurt, chocolate, beans, smoked and pickled foods.
Pregnant or breastfeeding women should avoid it – but there is limited information on its safety, but consult your doctor to be on the safe side.
Avoid if have a diagnosis of bipolar disorder – as with all antidepressants, it has been known to cause hypomania in some people, or rapid switching from a low to a high mood.
Check with your doctor if you are currently taking prescribed medication, contraceptive medication (such as the pill) or common over the counter medications.
Our plants are harvested during particular seasons, times of the day and according to the lunar calendar to ensure the plants or parts of it have the highest nutritional value. For example, roots are picked on a waning moon. Once harvested, they are packaged by hand because we try to avoid using metal equipment and utensils that could reduce the beneficial properties of the plant.
Because these products do contain active ingredients, please ensure that you do not exceed the recommended doses and if in any doubt, or if you experience any side effects – however slight – please consult your doctor or healthcare professional.